Spinal WA respects the privacy of its members, volunteers, business partners and online users and is committed to safeguarding the personal information that is provided to us.
Personal information collected by Spinal WA is protected by the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, and we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained within the Privacy Act.
Our obligations under the Privacy Act
The information we collect
The kind of personal information we collect will depend on your relationship with Spinal WA (eg as a subscriber, volunteer, business partner or online user).
We usually collect personal information directly from you. However, we may sometimes collect personal information from a third party such as your carer, trustee or authorised representative, but only if you have consented to such collection.
Spinal WA will only collect personal and sensitive information that is directly relevant to a service of Spinal WA and for the purposes of delivering our services in an efficient and timely manner. This information may include:
- Contact details (such as name, address, email, phone numbers)
- Date of birth
- Health information and/or medical history
- Areas of interest
- Information on personal issues and experiences
- If business partner – the type of support (eg program support, volunteering), the contact person’s name, name of the organisation which employs the person and contact details, Australian Business Number (ABN)
- If volunteer or prospective employee – emergency contact person/s details, country of birth, citizenship or residency details, details of current/previous employment, skills and experience, qualifications, references
- If online users – non-personal information eg visitor navigation and statistics, date and time of visit. This information may be collected to analyse website usage and to make improvements to the website.
How we use your information
Your personal information may be used to:
- Provide you with a service
- Provide you with educational information on disability care or awareness
- Communicate with you about Spinal WA services, causes, events and services, which we believe may be of interest to you
- Respond to your feedback or complaints
- Answer your queries
- For any other purpose for which it was requested and was given prior consent by you
Access to your personal information
Personal information will not be disclosed to third parties without your permission, except where permitted or required under the Privacy Act.
In most cases, you can gain access to the personal information that Spinal WA holds about you, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to check or amend your contact details, please contact us. We will deal with all requests for access to personal information as quickly as possible.
Spinal WA will take all reasonable steps to protect all personal, sensitive and health information against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. The internet is not always a secure method of transferring information. Spinal WA cannot accept responsibility for the security of any information you send to us, or receive from us, over the internet or for any unauthorised access or use of that information.
How to contact us
Dated: 14th July 2014